Archive

Archive for the ‘Windows 2008 R2’ Category

SQL Server 2012 NUMA Node Imbalance – Cont’d

October 1, 2015 6 comments

Yesterday, I had posted an issue I been troubleshooting with memory allocation.  That was causing CPU to pin, you can read more about the issue at SQL Server 2012 NUMA Node Imbalance.  Even though I found what was causing it, I didn’t understand the internals well enough to identify the root cause.

Additional testing I discovered this issue is repro on Windows 2008 R2 Server with SQL Server 2012.  It does not seem to fixed that at 4000MB the issue will start; if server is busy, then it can start at a higher value.  In my re-pro test, I found it starting at even 6000MB.

As I said the up front memory allocation and management was contributing to this, however now I am unsure if Locked Pages in Memory is to contribute to this.

However, further insight I learned today.  If this issue exists, you might have Lazy Writer spinning continuously on the effected NUMA node.

Therefore if you execute following T-SQL:

select session_id, wait_type, wait_time, cpu_time, scheduler_id
from sys.dm_exec_requests
where command = ‘lazy writer’
order by scheduler_id

Look at the output generated, if your Lazy Writer thread is working as normal (aka, only wakes up sometimes) you should see something similar to following:

clip_image002

However if you have this issue the Lazy Writer might look like below:

clip_image002[4]

  • Notice the wait_type has gone to NULL.
  • Notice wait_time has gone to 0 – signal it is not going to sleep like the rest.
  • Notice cpu_time keeps climbing.

Only work around that I know for this currently is, increase the max memory until you see lazy writer stop spinning and processor utilization starts dropping.

This post is cross posted on my SQLCAN Blog, MSDN Blog, and SQL server Consultation blog.

Cannot Administrator SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services on Windows 2008 R2

April 26, 2010 2 comments

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512639.aspxI just finished installing SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services on Windows 2008 Server R2.  After all the settings were configured in Report Configuration Manager.  I went to http://servername/reports/, to find I don’t have any access.  I couldn’t see the “Site Settings” link, and the Content/Properties tabs were missing on Home Page.

Local Administrators are suppose to have access to http://servername/reports/.  I checked the ReportServer database on SQL Server to make sure nothing was wrong; namely checking the Users table to make sure BUILTIN\Administrators was listed in users that had access.

I also confirmed the report server install files logs to make sure no component was missed or such.  And than I looked into report server log file and I found possible issue with port 80 conflict.  I resolved this issue by turning off IIS however the original issue continued to persist.

Digging further into the configuration of Windows server I found “User Account Control (UAC)” was turned on. With UAC on even though I was part of Local Administrator group that part of my permission was not passed into the web browser.  Thus making it impossible to configure the reporting services but if I start Internet Explore with Right Click -> Run as Administrator option; I was able to access the administrator functionality with in Reporting Services.

References:

  1. Wikipedia. User Control Account. Link.
  2. TechNet. User Account Control and SQL Server. Link.
%d bloggers like this: