“Recently, my system has encountered a severe breakdown. I lost most of my files and applications attached to it. Luckily, the MDF file of the attached SQL Server could have been recovered. Now is the time for a fresh start and I am in need to restore database from MDF file only. I heard there are different methods to attach MDF file to the database. Can anyone tell me which one is the easiest method to restore from MDF file to the SQL database?”
Like this user, many people put forth their query regarding MDF file restoration to the SQL Server Database. MDF files are the primary data file that stores all the database items of a SQL Server. Due to some technical issues of SQL database, users often need to restore database from MDF file only. To help users in such situations, we will share some approaches of MDF file attachment to the database. If you have the similar query about MDF file restoration, read the full blog.
What is MDF File: The full form of MDF is Master Database File. Of all the files created in SQL Server database, it is the most significant one. It contains all the items of the database. It plays a vital role in the smooth functioning of the database and also used for database restoration in case of any SQL Server issue. If the MDF files get corrupt, it will cause great inconvenience to the users. That is why, SQL users are always advised to have a regular backup of MDF file. Besides, they should always perform best practices to protect MDF files from corruption.
How to Restore Database from MDF File Only?
If you are facing the need of database restoration from MDF file, you can choose any of the methods from this segment.
- Using SQL Server Management Studio
- Go to the list of all applications in your system and click on Microsoft SQL Server.
- Choose SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and a dialog box will appear.
- Select the correct Server. Also, choose Windows Authentication as the mode of authentication and click on Connect button.
- SSMS will open and you have to right-click on Databases node. Then click on Attach option from context menu.
- Attach Database window will open and there, you need to click on Add button.
- Navigate to the MDF file location, select the MDF file and click on OK.
- MDF file will get added in the main windows and you need to click on OK button on this page too.
- The file will get restored in your database. You can check the database to find out.
Note: After MDF file attachment is done, SQL Server will create an LDF file.
- Using TSQL
- Use credentials to access SQL Server database engine.
- Go to New Query Window and run the below script.
Remember: Before performing this method, make sure to store the MDF file in the above specified location: “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\…”
Looking For A Simpler Solution? Try SQL Recovery
In case you are not willing to restore database from MDF file only using the manual techniques, you can do that with MDF File Repair Tool. This application will let the users restore MDF file to same database or a different database. The biggest benefit of using this software is its ability to fix corruption issues in case the MDF file is damaged in some way. The application is suitable for SQL Server 2000 and all the above versions including SQL Server 2017.
In most cases of corruption and technical issues, users often do not have any other option than to delete the database. After you delete your troubled database, you can also restore database from MDF file only to get back the database as earlier. By following the manual methods mentioned here, users can easily attach their MDF file to the SQL database. For faster and smoother MDF file restoration, users can choose SQL Recovery Tool. The application can perform the database restoration without any data loss and fix MDF file corruption, if any.