Recently while resolving users queries , I got to know one error which users are facing and face problem in fixing it. See query:
“I ran DBCC CHECKDB over the database and got following error:
Msg 8992, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Check Catalog Msg 3853, State 1: Attribute (object_id=xxxxxxx) of row (object_id=xxxxxx,column_id=11) in sys.columns does not have a matching row (object_id=xxxxxxx) in sys.objects.
CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors not associated with any single object. ”
Please help us out in resolving the issue without affecting the users.
Users facing SQL error 8992 need not to be worry. Here I am going to resolve SQL Server Error 8992. But first, Let us understand what issues you will be facing while you are getting SQL error msg 8992.
Why SQL Server error 8992 occur?
The reason for getting SQL error code 8992 could be any of the following:
- You might be facing inconsistency in your system metadata when you update your SQL Server database.
- Or maybe you might get this error when you update the system tables in SQL Server and run DBCC CHECKDB or DBCC CHECKCATALOG command.
Reason of Getting SQL error 8992
The error code 8992 occurs when SQL Server does not support the manual updates to system tables. Remember it must be updated only by the SQL database engine.
The error comes when DBCC CHECKDB can’t repair metadata corruptions.
Resolving SQL Server Error 8992
You have various options to repair SQL error 8992. You can choose it accordingly to your situation and get it resolved.
- So, if you have clean backup which is free from any inconsistencies, you can restore it from the backup. Here are the steps:
- Click on the name of the Database you want to restore.
- Right click on the Database, Click Restore Database.
- Check ‘From Device’ option. Browse the location of the .bak file.And select the Type of Backup Media as File.
- Select the database you want to restore and Check the Restore option.
- In the Options pane, Select Overwrite the existing database(WITH REPLACE) under Restore options.
- And click RESTORE WITH NORECOVERY under Recovery state section.
- Click Ok. You have successfully restore your data from the clean backup.
- But what if you dont have backup , for that case you can export the data to new database. After that migrate all the content of the updated database to new database.
Well you might be thinking, what about inconsistencies found in the system catalogues? The answer is you cannot repair the inconsistencies in DBCC CHECKDB by using REPAIR options. The repair command is the minimum level of corruption and it does not guarantee repairing your corruption.
Now let us imagine the worst case, you don’t have backup, and you have inconsistency in your database. So what will you do now??
Fix SQL Server error 8992 without any Data loss
So if you are in the worst case, the best way is to go for an professional approach ie SQL Repair Tool. It will remove and repair any type of inconsistencies found in the MDF / NDF File. You can try FREE demo version of this software. It supports MDF File version of 2017, 2016 & all its below version.
If you are looking to repair SQL Server error 8992, you are on a right place. The blog discusses the reason of getting this SQL code 8992 and every possible solution to fix SQL Server error 8992.